Rhonda Fraser, second from left, was guest speaker at the March 11 South Berwick Women's Institute meeting. Fraser is the executive director and has been with Chrysalis House for 18 years. It opened in 1985 and provides 24-hour staffing and a 24-hour crisis line as well as shelter, support, counselling and outreach for abused women and their children. From left is South Berwick Women’s Institute member Janice Wagner, Fraser, and Clarice Pottie, Kings West Women’s Institute director. - Submitted
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Teen Autism Social Group – Will meet March 18 and 25, for youth ages 12-19 or 20 plus if still in high school with autism spectrum disorder, at Sobey’s Greenwood community room. $40 for eight weeks or $5 per session. Info: Karen at 765-3502 email@example.com or Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Blood Donor Clinic - Kentville Fire Hall, 12-3 p.m. and 5-8 p.m. Sponsored by the Kentville Lions Club
• Meeting - annual general meeting of the Horton Community Centre Association, 7:30 p.m. at the Centre, Grand Pre. Info: 542-3150
• Public Talk - Wolfville and Area Historical Society public talk with Charles Burke, senior Parks Canada Archaeologist in Halifax, 7 p.m. in Room 138 of the Beveridge Arts Centre at Acadia University. (Enter by the north doors by the art gallery)
• Jam Session - North Alton Hall. 7 to 10 p.m. Door prize. Admission y donation.
• Karaoke - with Bev. 9 p.m. Canning Legion. Admission: $2. For more info, call after 4 p.m., 582-7246.
• Fish and Chips Supper - 5 to 7 p.m. at the Kingston Legion, $7 eat-in or $7.50 take out. Info: 765-4428.
• Kentville Lion’s Spring Fling Dance - River Street, Kentville, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., $6 per person, $10 per couple. Music by Vintage. Info: 679-4899. Proceeds to support Lion’s projects
•Dance - Royal Canadian Legion, Cnaning. Music by V-3. 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $5.
• Ham Dinner – held by the Lakeville Women’s Institute, 4:30-6 p.m., at the Lakeville Community Centre, $10 per person; $25 per family with children 12 and under.
• Dance - Kentville Legion. 9:30 pm. $6 per person. Music by Reboot. 19 and over. Bar and kitchen available.
• Workshop - Kings County Federation of Agriculture workshop on mentoring for farmers, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Kentville Agricultural Centre. All farmers welcome. Contact Cheryl at email@example.com
• Dance - 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., Royal Canadian Legion, Canning. Classic Rock Music by V-3, $5 per person
• Wolfville Legion Breakfast - 7:30 to 10 a.m., $6 per plate, proceeds for expenses.
• Concert – by gypsy jazz band Swingology, 3 p.m., at Windsor United Church. Proceeds towards new sound system for the church. Tickets $20 at the door, $15 advance at Windsor United Church office, Moe's Place Music Sales or Andrew Connolly Optician, or call 902-792-7232.
• Bottle Drive – by Central Kings Band, 8:45 a.m. to noon. Based at Central Kings High School parking lot and knocking on doors throughout the local area.
• Musical Variety Show - Wolfville Lions Hall, 7 p.m. Freewill offering to assist Marvin Walsh. Canteen and 50/50
• Variety Show - Forties Community Centre, New Ross, 1:30 to 4 p.m., $5.
• Roast Beef Supper - 4:30-6 p.m., Canning Legion. Takeout available, call the Legion after 4 p.m. daily, $12.
• Valley Ghost Walks - A Spooky Sampling Indoor Ghost Show, 7:30 p.m. at Manning Memorial Chapel, Acadia University. Tickets adults $15, students $10, available at Ticketpro.ca. Info: 692-8546, Jerome@valleyghostwalks.com
• Soup and Chowder Luncheon - South Alton Community Center, 11:30 a.m. to1:30 p.m. Adults $7, 12 and under: $3.50. Proceeds for community center.
• Ticket Auction – held byMeadowview Ladies Dart League. 50/50, tickets on $150 gift certificate, canteen available. Doors open at 11 a.m., draws at 1 p.m.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person, must be 19 and over. Bar and kitchen available, music by Appaloosa.
• Cards - Cornwallis New Horizens Club, 45’s Card party in the seniors room at the Lion’s Hall, Canning. Registration 1 p.m., games at 1:30 p.m. Admission $2, Info: 678-2030 or 582-7346
• Ticket and Silent Auction - 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. at the Coldbrook Heritage Hall, Lovett Road. Over a 100 items and growing (new, slightly used and collectables). Cost $1 per envelope of 20 tickets. Info: 679-6676
• Turkey Supper - 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Aylesford Fire Hall, $10 per plate, takeout available. Proceeds for the Aylesford Firefighters Auxiliary
• Benefit Show and Bake Auction - 50/50, kitchen open, 1:30-5 p.m. at the Kentville Legion. Lots of musical talent, $5. Proceeds for Richard Johnstone. Info: 678-7902
• Spring Tea and Sale – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Centerville Community Hall, freewill, sale table and gift basket draw. Sponsored by and proceeds for the Kentville Girl Guiding units. Info: 678-3979
• Music Night - 6:30 p.m. at the Coldbrook Baptist Church, fellowship to follow. Proceeds for Benevolent Fund
• Turkey Supper - Waterville & District Fire Department, 4-6 p.m. Adults $12.50, children $6 at the fire hall.
• Scottish Country Dance Classes - 7 p.m. at the Melvern Square Community Centre until May 12. No experience or partner is required. Reputed to be the best activity for both memory and physical exercise for all ages. Info: 765-0906.