Paralympic athletes Ben Brown, left, and David Bambrick are honoured Feb. 1 before the Acadia Axemen hockey. Both men have received national development cards recently. Brown will be holding a dinner and auction fundraiser Feb. 8 at the Berwick Lions Hall, 5 p.m. to help raise money for a new racing wheelchair. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased from Brown, Coun. Bob Best, Greenwood Auto Sales, Meadowbrook Meat Market, T and S in Kingston and Winning Edge Sports in Berwick. – Eric Cederberg photo
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• North Alton Jam Session – 7-10 p.m., door prize, 50/50, lunch. Donations at the door.
• Gigantic Yard Sale - at the former United Church of St. Paul and St. Stephen, 440 Main St., Kentville, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Two floors full of items, the surplus contents of two churches including kitchenware, appliances, furniture and lots more.
• Valentine Tea – 2-4 p.m., North Alton Baptist Church, variety of desserts, door prizes, freewill offering. Sponsored by the BWA, proceeds for church work.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Rte. 12
• Hardy Breakfast - 7:30-11 a.m. at the Masonic Hall, Mill Street, Berwick. (Time change for this date only in support of the Berwick Winter Carnival). Adults $6, children $3
• Valentine’s Dance – at Waterville & District Fire Department, 9 p.m. to 1a.m. Tickets $7.50 each, with a chance to win a weekend for two at Oak Island Inn. For tickets 691-1402 or 692-1803
• Breakfast - All Saint’s Anglican Church Hall, Kingston, full breakfast. 8-10 a.m. $7.
• House Concert - 2307 Black River Road, Wolfville, $15 including soup.
• Valentine Luncheon - 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Wolfville Ridge Baptist Church. Fish or Corn chowder, cheesecake. Touch and Buy and bake table. Adults $8, children $4, and under five free.
• Book Sale - 9 a.m. to noon, Centreville Community Hall (Highway 359). Used books; current authors. Proceeds going to the Centreville Good Neighbour Club.
• Kentville Breakfast - Kentville Legion, River St., 7:30-10 a.m. adults $5, children 12 and under $3.
• Potluck Supper - Scott’s Bay Community Hall Association annual potluck supper and blind auction at 5:30 p.m. Bring a dish to share and a wrapped item for the auction. Proceeds for hall upkeep. Info: Jerry 582-7489 or Hope 582-3603.
• Men’s Breakfast - New Beginnings Christian Ministry Men's Fellowship invites men to meet for breakfast and conversation the second Saturday every month, 9 a.m., at the Aurora Inn in Kingston.
• Coffee House - with Open Arms, Kentville Open House, 7 p.m. at the Kentville Recreation Centre, upstairs, 350 Main St. Poetry, stories, songs and artwork created by the Open Arms community. Freewill donations, proceeds go to Open Arms Drop-In Center.
Meeting - Valley Gardeners Club at 7:30 p.m. in Room 2101 at the Kingstec Campus of NSCC in Kentville. Guest speaker is Melanie Priesnitz.
• Luncheon – at theKingston Lions, noon to 1 p.m. at the Lions Hall, $8 at the door or $8.50 delivered. Deliveries must be ordered by 10:30 a.m. Phone 765-2128 or email email@example.com
• Meeting - Cambridge Cemetery annual meeting, 7 p.m., at the Cambridge Community Centre. Info: Alice Carey 678-7969
• Valentine’s Coffee Party - Kentville & Area Women’s Connection, 9:30 a.m. Berwick Lions Club Hall, $8. Speaker Brenda Joudrey, music Rev. Karen Doucette, feature Fashionable
Scarves. Reservations: Barb, 678-0466, before Feb. 9
• Persuasive Writing Techniques –7-9 p.m., Valley Women’s Business Network at King's Riverside Court Webster Street, Kentville. Free to VWBN members and their first-time guests, $5 at the door for returning guests. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Spooky Sampling Show – by Valley Ghost Walks at the Manning Memorial Chapel, Acadia, 7:30 p.m. with a collection of historical ghost stories from all ghost walks. Tickets: adults $15, students $10 available at Ticketpro locations, Box of Delights, Wilson's Pharmasave, Kentville & Berwick or at the door. This is a part fundraiser for Randall House Museum.
• Valentine’s Luncheon and Auction - at the Forties Community Centre, New Ross,
doors open at 11:30 a.m., lunch at noon. Adults $9, children $4, preschoolers free. Sponsored by St. Augustine Church Guild.
• Valentine Soup Luncheon - 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Kings Presbyterian Church, Prospect Rd, New Minas. Freewill offering.
• Valentine’s Dinner - Sponsored by the Port Williams and District Lions Club at 7 p.m. at the Port Williams Community Centre, $40 per couple. In support of the Valley Regional Hospital Foundation to purchase an oxygen monitor. For tickets: any Lions member or call 678-6532. Storm date Feb. 15.
• Breakfast – held by the Good Neighbour Club, celebrating their eighth anniversary. 7-10:30 a.m. Freewill offering.
• Concert - by the band Shoulder to Shoulder at the Wolfville Atlantic Theater, 7 p.m. Tickets at the Acadia box office $8 adult, $4 students. Opening with choir students from New Minas, EMS, Port Williams and Wolfville schools. Info: 542-6075
• Sweetheart Walk - Valley Trekkers, led by Lynda Kanne, in and around the Greenwood area. Meet in the parking lot of the Greenwood Aviation Museum/Canex, registration after 9:30 for walking at 10 a.m. Info: 847-1772 or 765-0906.
• Crib Tournament - Kentville Legion Registration 12:30 p.m., play at 1 p.m. Upstairs $20 per team. Lunch served.
• Dance – at the Kentville Legion, 9:30 p.m., $6 per person 19 and over. Music by Reboot.
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast - all you can eat, 8-10:30 a.m. Adults $5, children 3-12 $3, under 3 free.
• Coldbrook Lions Dance - 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. $6 per person. Music by Rte 12.
• Breakfast – 8-11 a.m., at the Aylesford United Church. Freewill offering. Sponsored by the Committee of Stewards, for church expenses.
• Musical Variety Show - Greenwich Fire Hall, 7:30 p.m. Bake table, 50/50, canteen available. Freewill offering, proceeds for Jeff Hiltz.
• Opera - Royal Opera House Live presents Giselle, 7 p.m., at the Al Whittle Theatre. Tickets: Box of Delights and Ticketpro.ca
• Sweets for the Sweet - Annapolis Valley Honor Choir annual fundraiser, 2 p.m. at the Louis Millet Centre, New Minas. Tickets $10 in advance from choristers, choir managers at rehearsals or Pharmasave in Kingston, Kentville and Wolfville; $12 at the door.
• Beginner Tai Chi – classes, 7:30 p.m., Berwick Town Hall Gym and at the Kentville Lions Club, River Street, Feb. 18, 6-8 p.m. and Feb. 20, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Info: 678-4609