Peter Andresen, left, representing Invisible Fence Brand of the Annapolis Valley, presents Mark Redmond of the New Minas Volunteer Fire Department a pet oxygen mask kit for the department's use. This was the 30th kit donated to a Nova Scotia fire department as part of Project Breathe, a national program to provide the pet rescue kits to volunteer fire departments and other first responders. - Submitted
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to email@example.com; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• End of Life Planning - learning opportunity about death midwifery, wills, directives, human body donation and other aspects of end of life planning. 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Centreville Baptist Church. $20, lunch and coffee. Register in advance by calling 542-6303.
• Bat Tales - True and scary bat tales, 7-9 p.m., at the KC Irving Environmental Science Centre Auditorium, Acadia. For more: 585-1916 or visit http://botanicalgardens.acadiau.ca
• Tools for Life Conference and Exhibit - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Horton High School. Free info sessions and exhibits on health, education, careers and assistive technology. For information: www.tools4life.ca
• Fair Trade Sale - with Ten Thousand Villages, noon to 8 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Kentville Fire Hall.
• Variety Show – 7-9 p.m., Greenwich Fire Hall. Freewill donation. Proceeds to the Black River Community Hall.
• Fundraiser - Voices In the Mist: Hauntings, Forerunners and Folklore, 7:30- 9 p.m.
$10 adults, $20 family, $5 children.
Tickets available at Ross Farm Museum. Call 902-689-2210. Joint fundraiser for the Ross Farm Museum and the Kings Historical Society.
• Harvest Tea and Bake Sale - Bethany Baptist Church, Aldershot, 2-4 p.m. $6 per person.
• Card Party - Cornwallis New Horizens Club, Canning, 45’s card party at the Lions Hall, Seniors Room. Registration 1 p.m., games at 1:30 p.m., admission $2. 678-2030 or 582-7346
• Dance - Kentville Legion, 9:30 p.m. $6 per person, 19 and over. Music by Appaloosa.
• Dance - Hall's Harbour Harvest Dance Fundy View Community Centre, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Hwy 359 in Hall's Harbour, music by Country Heat, tickets $8 at the door (19 and over). 678-7001 or 678-2295
• Halloween Tea - Greenwich Community Hall, 2-4 p.m. The “Green-witches” Ladies Association will be serving up sandwiches, carrot cake and drinks. All proceeds to the Greenwich Women’s Association supporting local charities.
• Coffee Party - Torbrook Mines annual coffee party and craft sale at the Three Rivers Community Hall, 9 a.m. to noon. Items available in buffet-style, $5. Homemade crafts jewelry, jams, and jellies will be for sale also.
• Community Breakfast - at Kingston Baptist Church, 8 -10 a.m. Freewill offering. All proceeds to the Kingston & District Elementary School’s Breakfast Program.
• Baked Beans, Scallops and Ham Supper -White Rock Community Association, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Hall. Adults $10, 12 and under $5, take-out available, call 542-7936 after 4 p.m.
• Soup Luncheon - soups, rolls, dessert, tea/coffee and bake sale, Berwick Baptist Church, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. $7 per person, sponsored by WWS auxiliaries
• Turkey Supper -Centreville Community Hall will be having the annual fuel turkey supper from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Adults $12, children under 12 $6. Takeout available.
• Quilt, Rug-hooking and Art Show - art and trunk show with Marie Armstrong and tea at community hall at 1 p.m. Quilt show at Burlington United Baptist Church, 1:30-4 p.m. To enter: 538-3441 or susan.daniels @hotmail.com
• Safety Session - AVSSC safety and shooting instruction for ladies, 1-4 p.m. Open to members and non-members. Firearms, ammunition, eye and ear protection provided, if you your own, bring them. Small fee to help cover the cost of ammunition and targets, some shooting may be outside. RSVP by Oct. 18.
• Valley Tea Festival - 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Millett Centre, New Minas. Enjoy tea, exhibitors, presentations and entertainment, $20 adult, $8 students, children 10 and under are free. Admission includes tea and sweets. Proceeds support Our Community Our Health campaign.
• Ticket Auction – at the Aylesford Fire Hall, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. New items. Proceeds for the Aylesford Firefighters Auxiliary.
• Ham Supper - St. John's Anglican Church Hall Port Williams, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Also craft sale, gently-used books, jams and pickles. Adults $10, children $5
• Breakfast - St. James' Anglican Church Hall, 8-10 a.m. 18 Prospect Ave., Kentville. Minimum donation $6. Craft table on site.
• Evangelism Workshop - at the New Beginnings Center, 9 a.m.- noon, followed by potluck lunch. Presentation by Carolina Parker of Sussex, New Brunswick. Free admission.
• Halloween Dance - Waterville & District Fire Department, 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Must be 19 and over, tickets $7.50 each. Music by D and S DJ Services
• Yard/Rummage Sale - West Brooklyn Baptist Church, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Wolfville Legion. Bake table and canteen available. Proceeds for the church.
• Ticket Auction - 2 p.m. at the Lion's Club Hall, Wolfville. Bake table, 50/50 draw and canteen. Viewing starts at 1 p.m. Proceeds for Wolfville Ridge Baptist Church.
• Dinner and Concert - Roast buffet dinner and concert, 6:30 p.m., Kings Presbyterian Church, New Minas. Concert band "Highway 236" from Truro, adults $20, Children 12 and under $10. For tickets call 681-1333, also available at the door
• Rummage Sale – St. James Anglican Church, Kentville, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Walk - Legend and Lore of the Fundy Shore walk. Meet at the Fundy View Hall, Halls Harbour, Hwy. 359, 7 p.m. Arrive 15 minutes prior. Second walk Nov. 2. On Nov. 23, indoor show at the Fundy View Hall, 7 p.m. $14 adults, $9 students, walks are part fundraisers for local theatre. ticketpro.ca.
• Gospel Concert - Sonlight Ministries, Waterville Baptist Church, 7 p.m. Free Will Offering for special church purposes. Refreshments and fellowship following the concert.
• Ticket Auction - Royal Canadian Legion, Habitant Br.#73, Canning. Viewing at 11 a.m., draw at 1 p.m. Call after 4 p.m. for info at 582-7246, daily.
• Country Music Variety Show - 1:30 p.m. at the Black Rock Recreation and Culture Centre, freewill offering. Local entertainment, canteen and 50/50. Info: Ralph, 538-7887
• Annual General Meeting – for the Annapolis Bluegrass and Old-time Music Association, 1:30 p.m. in South Berwick Community Hall. Jam session will follow.
October 27 Forest Hill Baptist Church Hymn Sing, 7 p.m. Special guest will be The Lawrencetown Male Choir. Rev. Manthorne will lead the Hymn Sing. Refreshments will be served. Proceeds go to the church.
• Benefit - for Joey Johnstone and Michelle Ferguson of New Minas at the Coldbrook Lions Hall, 1 p.m., to help with medical expenses during Joey's treatments and recovery. Live entertainment, ticket auction, live auctions, 50/50 draw at 4 p.m., canteen. Freewill at the door, open at noon.
• Turkey Dinner - All Saint’s Anglican Church, Kingston, 4:30-6 p.m. $12 adults, $5 children. Tickets: contact Gordie 242-2949 or Jacquie 825-1559
• Kings Historical Society - monthly meeting at the Kings County Museum, 37 Cornwallis Street, Kentville, at 7:30 p.m. Hear how 12-year-old Kathryn Gray, made the discovery of a lifetime, a supernova.
• Merchandise Bingo - Minas 50 + Club, New Minas Fire Hall, 1-3 p.m. Doors open at noon, door prize. Wear a costume and win a prize.
• Ticket Auction - TOPS NS #4149 ticket auction at the Aylesford East Community Hall on Highway #1. Proceeds to help members attend PRD in Dartmouth in 2014. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., draws 7:30 p.m. Bake table available.
• Turkey Supper - 4:30-6:30 p.m. Adults $12, six to 12 years $7, five and under free. Take-out available, Berwick United Church. Sponsored by the Board of Stewards in support of the work of the church
• Fundraiser - for Servant's Heart Ministries of Dominican Republic/Bridgewater, 6 p.m. at the NSCC Kingstec Campus, Kentville. Food, music, silent auction and speaker Phil Williams, co-gounder of Servant's Heart. Tickets $50/person with a $30 tax receipt available. Call 679-3245.
• Pasta Dinner - Millville Community Hall, 4:30-6:30 p.m. A variety of pasta dishes, including vegetarian and gluten free. Freewill offering.
• Baked Beans and Ham Dinner - Fundraiser at the Margaretsville Community Hall, 5:30-7 p.m. Freewill offering in support of Christopher Jamieson’s travel to the Dominican Republic to help build a home with Servant's Heart Ministries. For more or to reserve a seat, call 825-4404 or 825-3290.
• Coffee Party and Sale - Lockwood Hall, Port Williams United Baptist Church, 9:30 to11:30 a.m. Sponsored by Port Williams Health Auxiliary.
• Indoor Yard/Bake Sale - Salvation Army Kentville Community Church, Nichols Ave., 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission $1. Proceeds to the Women’s Ministry.
• Ticket Auction – held by the Silver and Gold Senior Club, at the Lions Hall, Elm St., Wolfville. Viewing at noon, draws at 1 p.m. Canteen available.
• Ticket Auction - Woodville Community Centre. Ticket sale at 11 a.m., drawing at 1 p.m. Canteen available. A portion of the proceeds go to Somerset School Breakfast Program. Brittany: 670-8039.
• Ticket Auction - St. Anthony's Parish Centre, Mill St., Berwick. Doors open at 10 a.m. Draws at 2 p.m. Canteen available.
• Christmas Tea and Sale - Canning Baptist Church, $7, also sale of crafts and baking, 2-4 p.m.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m. Music by Reboot $6 per person, must be 19 and over.
• Breakfast - Bethany Memorial Baptist Church, Aldershot Road, 8-10 a.m. Freewill offering for church projects.
• Breakfast - Hantsport and District Lion’s, 7-10 a.m. Lockhartville Community Hall, Hutchinson Road. Adults $6, children 6-12 $3, five and under free. Proceeds for Lion’s Community Service Program.
• Crib - Kentville Legion tournament, Registration 12:30 p.m. upstairs, play starts 1 p.m. $20 per team.
• Newfie & Country Jamboree - Lockhartville Hall, 1:30-5 p.m. $5 at door. Lunch $2.
• Benefit Show - for Bob Balsor, 2-5 p.m. at the Kentville Legion, lots of local talent. Freewill offering, canteen, auction.
• Fall Craft Fair –10 a.m.- 4 p.m., 1941 Highway #1 Auburn (West Kings High School). Admission $2, children 12 and under free. Canteen available, proceeds to West Kings Band Programs.
• Ticket Auction - Wolfville Legion Hall, Main Street, viewing 12 p.m., draws at 2 p.m. All new items. Canteen available.
• Gospel Music Evening - at Stoney Hill Baptist Church, Lockhartville, 7 p.m. Special guest.
• Church Fair - 10:30 a.m.-noon, St. James United Church, Hantsport. Informal morning to discover more about the different groups and organizations through displays and activities. For more, 684-0211 or firstname.lastname@example.org